I gave a talk at FOSSA 2012 earlier this week sharing some experiences with teaching students using open source projects in a module at the University of Bolton.
Basically, there are 5 tips:
- Start with soft skills, not code
- Let students pick their own projects
- Teach how to “read” a project
- Get students interacting with the project community – not the lecturer
- Assess public interactions
Here’s the slides:
Hopefully I’ll be working with the teaching team to develop Year 2 & 3 modules building on this work.